Numerous services and initiatives are offered to PhD students by the University of Perugia; they can be found at the link https://www.unipg.it/servizi.
Each PhD student has financial resources provided by the University of Perugia, in particular:
- an annual amount equal to 10% of the scholarship (for all PhD students, even without scholarship and industrial students), to be used for research activities (purchase of materials, equipment, travels, participation to congresses, ....), available in the 2nd and 3rd year of activity;
- a 50% increase in the scholarship for stays abroad at universities, research centers or companies.
Additional financial resources may be made available by the supervisors through their own research funds, if the PhD student participates in funded research projects for which the supervisors themselves are responsible.
In order to guarantee the correct development of the training and research activities, tools and equipment from CIRIAF laboratories, the research center which organizes the course, are available to PhD students, in particular:
- Biomass Characterization Laboratory
- Biofuels and biochemicals laboratory
- Laboratory of technologies for renewable energies, energy efficiency and sustainable development (also located at the branch of S. Apollinare)
- Olfactometry laboratory
- Acoustics laboratory
- Thermotechnics laboratory
- Laboratory of Environmental Controls
- Env.Applied Physics laboratory
Furthermore, other labs can also be used by students, as they are available to members of PhD Board: Machinery Laboratories (pyrolysis, calculation center, fluidized bed reactor), quality control in the agri-food sector Lab, the DBVPG Industrial Yeast Collection, Occupational Medicine and Environmental Professional Toxicology Lab.
Other resources consist of a significant collection of books (Biomass Research Center Library, CIRIAF Library, Engineering Pole Library, Bio-Medical Library), the University's online subscriptions to national and international scientific journals, access to databases (on biomass chemical-physical and energy properties, on thermal and acoustic insulation properties of fixtures and building materials and components).
Finally, software are available for numerical simulations and analytical evaluations in the fields of the various proposed topics, such as Ansys-Fluent (thermo-fluid dynamics and structural analysis), Design Builder (building/plant thermophysics), Star (thermofluid dynamics), ASPEN (simulation of chemical processes), Sima Pro (LCA), MC4-HVAC-CAD (building energy), TRACE-PRO (photometry, lighting), Ramsete (architectural acoustics), Sound Plan (acoustics), Matlab, ArchGis, Meteonorm, Comsol Multiphysics.
For an adequate performance of the activities, consistent with the objectives, the following facilities are provided to each PhD student:
- a workstation equipped with PC and desk;
- access to the laboratories mentioned above;
- the possibility of using the above mentioned software and the relative calculation stations.